Tuesday, April 28, 2009

More on the J Dawg

Yesterday we spent a lovely 4 1/2 hours at UMC with two different doctors trying to determine what to do about JD's heart. And now, we are more confused than ever!

Doctor 1 is a world renowned cardiologist who met with JD. He looked at the bubble study that was done at St. Joes and said he wasn't totally convinced JD had a hole in his heart at all. He has requested that JD do another bubble study to be sure. That is scheduled for Thursday and Monday we will go in for the results. The doctor did say that if there were a hole in his heart, he would do the full blown open heart surgery. He said once into where his heart is, it's a less than 5 minute procedure. But that's cutting him open, opening his ribs, stopping his heart, the whole 9 yards. Really scary.

Doctor 2 is a young doctor who believes that he can close it using the PFO closure device. They go up the artery in the leg and insert a cylinder looking metal thing into his heart to close the hole. The problem we got with him is that he sounded like a salesman. He didn't feel the need to look at JD's other documents or images and finally agreed to take them home at look at them after we insisted. He sounded competitive with Doctor 1 and made comments about him. However, one thing that he said really resonates with us: why go in and do full blown open heart surgery when all they will be doing is inserting one stitch? However, Doctor 1 said that he's had to go in and remove pieces of these metal contraptions before because they break or shift. Doctor 2 said that because it's a PFO closure, the chances of those things happening are slim.

We don't know WHAT to do. On the one hand, it would be nice to know it's just stitched up and we don't have to worry about some crazy device that has not actually been used for very long in the medical field. But on the other hand- open heart surgery?!?

And Doctor 1 isn't even sure there is a hole. But if the doctor at St. Joes says there's one and Doctor 2 says there's one, who do you believe?

I'm inclined to take a trip to Hawaii and forget this all happened, but if there's a hole in his heart in Tucson, there will still be a hole in his heart in Hawaii.....

I know that the Lord will guide us in the right direction, but I also know He doesn't give all the answers all at once. I've tried convincing Him otherwise, but it hasn't worked.

10 comments:

  1. "Line upon line," my dear ones. Just keep going. The way will be made clear.

    We love you!
    Mom and Dad
    "mizpah"

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny I don't have anything to say, I'm speechless. I guess I will say this. Take the trip to Hawaii no matter what you decide! You two deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Troy says he would do the PFO. Cause if it breaks they were gonna cut ya open anyway. No sense in having open heart surgery if you don't have to. There ya go. His two cents. All joking aside, we love you guys and hope you find your answer soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We'll keep praying for you. I'm with Sherri, the way will be made clear. Then when things get sorted out...ALOHA!!! We'll come with you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You realize this is your fault Mae Mae. It is your cupid's arrow that made that hole. If you hadn't been so sizzling, JD wouldn't have fallen so hard!

    I keep telling Brian that I wish the Lord would be a little more specific. I now realize it is I who should be more specific. I asked Him to write it on the wall for me. Next time I'll ask Him to use something besides invisible ink. Something more like a Sharpie pen!

    Our prayers continue to be with you both. I wish you weren't so darned far away!!!! Come back to UT where I can take care of you!! Besides, Levi misses you. Isn't that reason enough to come back???

    ReplyDelete
  6. We love you and pray for you always.

    I for one would see if they have a doctor in Hawaii and darn it, you would have to stay for recovery.

    Jacobson family and kids

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd go for the Hawaii gig. You can relax, think about it, and send me chocolate macadamia nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So many wonderful things have been said! Don't know what to say so I will steal a line. In the words of one of my favorite songs, sung by Rob Thomas, "Our lives are made in these small hours!" The song is called Little Wonders. Written for the movie Meet the Robinsons. Sure love you and will pray for you two.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How stressful. I don't like making little decisions...I can't imagine this BIG one. Best of luck! PS...Hawaii rocks. Go to Maui. Alona's going this summer!

    ReplyDelete