Sunday, January 22, 2012

I'm HUGE!!


34 weeks
So I decided that I wanted to record my pregnancy experience in a nutshell to remember and for posterity sake. For some reason I'm a lot more motivated to record things on my blog than I am in my journal. Maybe because I think someone might actually read it? 


Anyway, starting back at the beginning- to say I was surprised that I was expecting is the understatement of the century. It was confirmed the day before my birthday. That night, JD and I called my parents on the phone and it went something like this:


Me: "Hey Mom and Dad!"
Dad: "Glad you called. We have some very important business to discuss."
Me: "Huh?"
Dad: "It's very serious and requires our full attention- we've got a Hawaii trip to plan! Whoo-hoo!"
Me: (not wanting to lose control of the conversation) "Well I have something really exciting I want to tell you."
Dad: "....OK- fine. I can't imagine what would be more important than Hawaii, but go ahead."
Me: "JD got me an early birthday present."
Dad: "What's that?"
Me: "A positive pregnancy test."
Dad: (crickets)
Mom: "What?!"
Me: "A positive pregnancy test."


It was something along those lines- I don't think I've ever heard my dad say 'whoo-hoo' before. 


My pregnancy progressed amazingly, aside from the anxiety of miscarrying again. But JD and I decided that we would put our faith in the Lord and celebrate this special time without letting the pain of the past control our trust. JD did quite a bit better than I and became instrumental in helping me to hold on to hope. 

As things progressed, I was deeply grateful and so surprised at how smoothly things were going. The baby was growing just fine and I didn't have a lick of morning sickness. I even felt the baby move extremely early- 12 weeks. And one of the most fun parts was that I have never felt as beautiful and as happy with my body than being pregnant. I've loved watching my body change. All of the sudden the pressure of the world to look a certain way didn't apply to me. I have been able to feel happy with myself the way I am and hope to never again give a rat's bu-hootee about the world's standards of how women should look (although after the baby it will be a real challenge- it's one of my vices).


Really the only complaints I had was that I was really tired (what's new?), my hips hurt when I slept, and I had trouble breathing. I figured it was all part of the pregnancy fun. And how could I complain about that when I had just been given one of the best gifts of my life?!? Then one Sunday, I was in sacrament meeting and I got up to use the bathroom and on my way down the hall, a woman stopped me to talk. As I stood there, I realized that I didn't feel so good. Then it dawned on me that I didn't understand a word the woman said, and next thing I knew, I was waking up on the floor. My bishop is a doctor and was summoned (off the stand) to come check me out. He suggested I go to the ER as I was shaking uncontrollably and my pulse was weak. Turned out I was dehydrated. 


It was an expensive way to be reminded to drink more water, but it led me to talk to my doctor about my problems breathing and feeling lightheaded. He suggested that I get my heart checked. He figured it wouldn't be a big deal, but I should check just in case.


So I made an appointment, almost canceled because I thought it was silly (I was sure there was nothing wrong with my heart), and got some rather surprising news. I was told that I had two arrhythmias, fluid around my heart, and that the muscle was looking depressed. The cardiologist said that it was either a virus or my heart was attacking itself. If it was a virus, it would pass in 6-8 months. It if was my heart attacking itself, it wouldn't get better and I'd never be able to have more children as it would get worse with each one. I went home in complete shock and with a heart rate monitor. 

The next day found me back to the cardiologist to assess the monitor. All pregnant women get a faster heart rate because they are pumping quite a bit more blood. Normal is anywhere lower than the one hundred and teens. Mine was going up as high as 150. WAY too fast. We tried a modified bed rest that would allow me to go to work and the I had to go home straight to bed. That didn't work. The doctor was almost certain I was going to need to go on beta blockers. I was very much against them if possible as they slow the baby's heart rate down- which has been a problem in my family history and has caused my older sister to be born with cerebral palsy and complications with myself and my siblings' births. I didn't want anything to add to the risk that my baby may already have. 


So I went on complete bed rest- only getting up to use the bathroom and shower. It worked. My heart was looking much better and honestly, although I was feeling like I was going to go crazy, I was feeling quite a bit more energized. The greatest blessing of all is that because my heart was improving, it meant that I had the virus instead of my heart attacking itself.

Now I am on a modified bed rest where I try to do one thing a day to keep me sane- attend a niece's basketball game, go to the store, Sacrament meeting, etc. Granted, with 3-4 doctor's appointments a week, I feel like I'm running around like crazy, and sometimes I overdo it, but I try to balance how I feel.


Then about 2-3 weeks ago, I was facing the dreaded 3 hour glucose test. I had tested borderline and they wanted me to do the 3 hour test to be sure I didn't have gestational diabetes. After drinking that horrid stuff, I was sitting in the waiting room to get my blood drawn again. I knew another woman was taking the same test and I started to wonder- why does she seem so relaxed? I was having a hard time breathing again, was feeling light headed, and couldn't sit still. I was afraid to stand up because I thought I was going to pass out again. I took my pulse and my heart rate was up to about 140. Finally I got called back and explained that I wasn't feeling too good. With two nurses, a doctor, smelling salts, and being held on the bed, we finally got the blood drawn. I didn't react too well to the glucose and almost passed out because of the tests.


But it was a good thing that they decided to do the 3 hour test, because it showed that I was indeed diabetic. I've been testing my blood sugars and eating a special diet since, and can't wait until the pregnancy is over.  Sushi and chocolate are on the menu.


Then came the fall......In the middle of the night, I went to use the bathroom and didn't realize that the dog was sleeping on the floor by the bed. I stepped on him, he jumped up barking, and I went flying backward landing hard on my tailbone. I am so grateful that the way I stepped on the dog sent me flying back instead of forward because if I would have landed as hard as I did on my stomach as I did on my tailbone, we would have been headed to the ER. As of now, I think I've probably dislocated or broken it, but I'm too far along in my pregnancy to have treated, so I'll have to deal with it later.


Wow- this is all starting to sound a little dramatic. I know there are so many women who have had to endure much more during their pregnancies. I am certainly not complaining. I mostly just wanted to get it down. I have learned a ton through this experience. The Lord's tender mercies have been abundant. He has reassured me over and over that He is aware of me, He loves me, and this baby will be ok. Mixed in with all of these experiences, I've spent countless hours going gaga over baby stuff, reading everything I could get my hands on, almost exploding with joy and excitement, and I am sure, annoying many people in the process (can't this lady talk about anything ELSE?!)


 I have been trying to heed the advice of a wise friend- don't wish the time away. Enjoy every moment because when you have your baby, you will be so happy, but you won't be pregnant anymore. I feel like I've been doing pretty good with that, but now I think the excitement is getting the best of me and I just want to hold her. Looks like that will be happening in about 2 weeks! Everything will be nailed down for sure within the next couple of days, but it's looking that way! Can I get a Woot! Woot!?  



9 comments:

  1. Woot! Woot!!! I can't believe you've been through so much! I'm SOOO excited for you!! Watch out though, they grow up fast, enjoy every minute!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are stunningly beautiful!!!!...if indeed huge! You look fantastic. Can't wait to meet this little one. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woot! Woot!
    You most certainly must NOT talk about anything else and you should annoy everyone you can!! This is an amazing time and it's about to get even better! I can't wait to see the first mom and baby photo!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woot Woot from me too!!!! You are so smart to record all of this because soon it will be a distant blur. I'm so sorry to hear about all your recent challenges. My mom says, "Nothing in live worth having is easy." And that statement applies more to having a baby than just about anything else in life! But I'm glad you are "soaking it in" despite the challenges and I am just so, so, so, SO happy for you!! What a lucky baby girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't understand why some women have to go through so much more than others to get their little ones... but I can only imagine that such big sacrifices will make the reward that much greater. I'm sorry for your troubles, but SO THRILLED that baby Faith will be here soon!! JD will be a great dad! And I love this picture of you. You look awesome. And I just have to know where it was taken because that room behind you with the pink accents is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you- it's been a long road but filled with much joy and rejoicing already. And the pink room? That's JD's mom's guest bedroom. Pretty cool, isn't it!

      Delete