Wednesday, October 22, 2008

It's Worth It

So I have a pretty good job as a special education teacher. The position I have right now is working with one high school girl with autism. She's a great girl and it's a fun job. However, as always, there are days where I would rather be doing something else. Like shopping, sleeping, watching Project Runway....

But today I was rewarded. The student I work with is so much in her own world that I spend most of the day trying to get her out of it. She quotes movies endlessly and can't focus. But every once and a while, the fog lifts and I see the girl underneath the autism. Today was one of those days.

We were working on some math and all of the sudden, she stopped, looked at me and said "You my best friend, Santini."

Melt my heart!!!

4 comments:

  1. I totally understand! I have a few of those moments, too...both kinds, the kind I want to just crawl under the covers and pull them over my head and the kind where I my heart is oozing out of all of my pores....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Got more to say. :o) I'd be bawling cuz when the fog lifts....those are feelings they truly have...so.....you is her best friend Santini!

    ReplyDelete