I know that there are many who use the blog to keep up with the happenings around our part, so I thought posting might be the easiest way to let all of JD's great friends know that on Friday morning, JD suffered a minor stroke. They think it occurred sometime during the night, but JD woke up feeling a little dizzy and off. He didn't think much about it and went to his internship. Later that morning he noticed that things were getting fuzzy. He was talking to a fellow law student and she could tell something wasn't right. Pretty quickly thereafter, he started losing feeling on his right side. They rushed him to the ER where I met him. It was confirmed that night or the next morning (things are kind of a blur) that he did suffer a stroke on the left side of his brain where it affects sensation and the heart.
Because JD is so young, is in amazing physical condition, and has no risk factors, doctors are very concerned about what caused it. He was put at the top of all waiting lists for the different tests that he needs. It's crazy that he, of all people, would have suffered a stroke. They have checked his brain and the blood vessels to his brain and all look normal (besides where it shows where the stroke occurred). They are now trying to examine his heart to see if there is some abnormality that caused the stroke.
Right now, he feels sensation on the right side, but it all feels like it does when your foot falls asleep- that pins and needles feeling. He teeth even feel numb. He has not lost any strength on his right side. He can still move everything, but he has a hard time with precise movements. He can't write and he can't pick up small objects. He tried to grab a strawberry from me and couldn't get his had to go to the strawberry without a lot of concentration. He also can't walk at this point. His speech is fine. In fact the doctor said that if it had been any higher, he would have lost his speech. Gratefully that was not the case.
He will be starting physical therapy tomorrow and so hopefully we will be able to see how much he is missing and get an estimate as to long it will take to get it back. We are confident he will have a full recovery. He was promised so in a blessing- we just don't know how long it will take.
We are primarily worried that we may not find the cause. We don't really want to find something wrong, but we do want closure and reassurance that it will not happen again. We will see.
JD and I are both doing ok. The blessing JD received was so helpful and there have been many small manifestations of God's awareness of him. We know that there may be some hard roads ahead, but that he will eventually recover.
Please keep him in your prayers. He can use them. It's amazing how life can change in an instant. I love JD so much and am so grateful that the right people were there to help him when his body shut down. I just keep thinking that even if I told him every 1o seconds that I love him, it's not enough. Be sure to tell those you love how much they mean to you. Thank goodness for the knowledge that there is a Plan. The Lord is truly great.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Wow. I'm speechless. You both will be in our prayers. Please let JD know this!!!
ReplyDeleteOh, wow. We hope and pray that you'll find the answers you're looking for. Please keep us posted. We love you!
ReplyDeleteOh, sweet Megan. While I am completely shocked at this unexpected news, I KNOW nothing is too hard for the Lord. I know both you and JD can do this AND that you will not do it alone. Our thoughts and prayers will be with you and your sweetheart and we will anxiously look forward to updates.
ReplyDeleteWe love you, girl!
Mae Mae, this is a good idea. I'm glad you are posting here with updates. As you know, we are praying for you and have full knowledge and confidence that the Lord does indeed perform miracles and answer prayers.
ReplyDeleteWe love you very much. Both you and JD. You do realize don't you that if you'd have been here in UT by us this would have NEVER happened. :) We miss you tons.
Tell JD to kick butt at PT today. We're all routing for him.
Oh and Mae Mae, next time dip that strawberry in chocolate and then see if JD can't snatch it from ya quick! :D
We are so sorry to hear this. Please let us know if there is anything we can do for you. We'll keep you two in our prayers. (Rachel Allen)
ReplyDeleteThis post was so shocking to me that I had to keep checking to make sure it wasn't April 1st so I knew you were serious. JD of ALL people. That is SO strange and SO scary. My family will definitely be praying for you both. Feel better soon, JD!!
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry to hear about this! It's so scary but I'm glad he is doing better and looking optimistic. Please keep us updated when you get chances to. Love you JD!
ReplyDeleteOur whole family is praying for you two. We can't forget because Hallie reminds us daily about JD and Megan and how they need to get better so they can go home to see their kitty! We love you guys and let us know what we can do. Anything! I mean it Megan never hisitate to pick up that phone! If you don't you know I'll call you =)!
ReplyDeleteHey Megan, thanks for allowing your friends to be a part of your life. It must be incredibly hard right now. I know we aren't as close as some couples are with you guys, but please don't hesitate to let us know if there is anything we can do. We think a great deal of both of you and only want the best outcome for you guys. Hang in there. Heavenly Father is very much aware of what you two are going through and he will see you through it all the way.
ReplyDeleteLove Greg and Sheal
Oh wow, I'm sorry Megan!! That was a shock to read because I remember how fit JD is!
ReplyDeleteMy dad had a few mini strokes about 5 years ago and they were caused from the top two chambers in his heart, there is a flap that is supposed to close at birth, but for about 10% of the population that flap doesn't close so those chambers are left open and the blood and oxygen doesn't flow properly to the brain. I'm sure the doctors are checking for this, but just in case, have them check; it took the doctors a year and a half to find this in my dad and the strokes stopped after it was fixed. It's called a PPO or something like that. If he has a lot of migraines or head aches, this is also a sign of this problem.
Our prayers are with you, and I know we are all the way in Utah, but let me know if we can do anything for you!
We are praying for you both and know that everything will be okay. I'm so sorry this had to happen... and how strange I might add. We may never know the reasons why these situations happen and they are never fun but I know that you both will be so blessed for your faithfulness! We love you SO much. thanks for the update.
ReplyDeleteBoth of you will be in my prayers and on my mind. Good luck with everything!
ReplyDeleteoh, Megan! How terrifying! It is good to know that he is such a healthy man and that his outlook is good, but I will be keeping you and him in my prayers.
ReplyDeleteJD, hey it's Tim Winter and I just got news tonight about the stroke. I'm so sorry. I just wanted to say you are in our prayers and that we know you'll bounce back! Also, if you have any random medical questions, or if you just want to talk, please call (918-504-7009). We love you!!!
ReplyDelete