1. Pack 'n Play. Then after a year/year and a half we switch to a toddler bed.
2. Both. Cloth at home, disposies for going out.
3. LOVE kellymom.com. I have the LLL book and attended their mtgs with Jed.
Best new parents resource imho is the Dr. Sears Baby Book. It has EVERYTHING and somehow manages to be calming, reassuring and down to earth. Worth EVERY PENNY! It totally saved us, and helped us avoid many sleepless worried nights, with Jed and we passed it on to M's sister when she had her first.
Typing one handed while NAK - nursing at keyboard - you're gonna need that acronym! :D
1) bassinet until 6 months in our room. I love this time and I get nervous I won't hear them. We have often picked up a newborn baby that was making a strange sound in the middle of the night and I felt really good knowing we could help them. 2) cloth diapers have come a long way. I'd say go for it. But I never did ;) 3) tips: relax! and do not be afraid to supplement some with formula. all my babies have nursed AND taken 1 bottle a day of formula- don't get all obsessed with thinking the only thing they can have is breast milk. Also: if your milk is not coming in well, pump for 20 minutes after each feeding for the first month or so-I know it's awful, but it really helps-rent a hospital grade pump if you need to do this. good luck!
1) I prefer having a bassinet or cradle or something small so it doesn't take up much room but is close to hand for feedings. Then on to a crib when the baby is bigger. 2) I prefer cloth for everyday use- at home, out and about, etc. Just remember to change every 2 hrs or more often as needed. Cloth doesn't contain for long periods as well as disposables, so double up or don't forget to stop and change. I like having some disposables on hand for travelling or in case of power outage which I've had happen when I was about to wash. 3) Breastfeeding is natural and pretty easy, but questions and things do pop up now and again. A lactation consulatant should be stopping by your room in the hospital to see how you're getting on and if you need any help or have questions. I've always liked the little pamphlets they give out at the doctor's offices too. Even going on baby #4 it's nice to have refreshers now and again.
Also..... I forgot to add this before... I suggest trying different types and brands of cloth diapers, not all one type. Buying used is much better on the wallet. Look up local cloth diaper retailers in your area so you can browse hands-on and ask questions.
-k- 1) I always have my new borns in my room in a bassinet or pack n play with one built in for at least 6-8 months...dont wait too long or trasition to crib might be hard. i feel like wil sids and all that I cant sleep well without them near so i can hear them breath... :) 2) I have never used cloth diapers...I keep them in my food storage just in case though. but i have no complaints about disposable diapers...i even use cheap walmart brand.. 3) Nursing.....FOR SURE SURE SURE....I nurse my twins till they were 14 months....and my son till he was 15 months...With the twins they were so small that the nurses told me to pump because they burned fewer calories bottle feeding but I even bought a really nice $300 pump....and I started loosing my milk....I cried to my mid wife 6 weeks later cuz i didnt want to give my babies formula...and she told me to stop pumping because your body knows the difference...sure enough. I stopped and went stricktly to nursing never pumped or used a bottle again and Never had a problem with my milk again....same stih my son...just cut out the pump...your body is smart and knows the difference. nursing is the neatest thing though...definately worth it...and very convient....all you need is a knocker blocker and your set..no packing bottles or sneaking out to go pump...your set. hop thats helpful! Sallie
1. Get a pack and play with the bassinet. You need a pack and play anyway, so just use that as your bassinet. We had Finn in our room for 5 weeks in the bassinet (until the week before I went back to work). 2. If you are going to be working, I say go disposable diapers. I was just thinking about that today; I went back to work for three months to work on an event and I'm having a hard time keeping my house clean and keep up with everything I was doing when I was just at home. I was thinking today after doing six loads of laundry that there is no way I could keep up with washing cloth diapers while I'm working if I used them. Figure out what is going to be best for your life style and if you have time to was cloth diaper. I get my diapers from Amazon Moms, they are WAY cheaper than anywhere, even Costco, and they are delivered right to my door every month with out having to order them every month. LOVE IT!! 3. I had a love hate relationship with nursing, but I'm SO happy I did it. I asked the lactation specialist in the hospital a lot of questions, and I also read a lot (and still do) on babycenter.com. I seriously love that website! I also asked my sister and sister-in-laws and friends with babies a lot of questions.
Oh another tip on nursing, don't be afraid to supplement with formula. We actually discovered that giving formula to Finn at night before he went to bed made him sleep longer because it takes longer for his system to process. I would just pump at night instead of nurse so I would have more for the next day for the baby sitter while I was at work.
I skipped the bassinet and went a pack n play with a new born insert. That way the pack n play can be used for how ever long. if we are on vacation Parker still sleeps in one and he is 2 where a bassinet they out grow after about 6 months. Definitely disposable diapers. I couldnt wash poop and pee out but that is just me. Breast feeding tool...if you have the money a double pump is the way to go!! Saves you tons of time and time is everything with a new born...more time you have, the most rest you get and the more "me" time you get! Which you need!! I needed nursing pads, as far as creams the best on are there gel packs I got at the hospital but couldnt find them anywhere after I left. I was totally bummed! But I just used the store bought stuff and it worked nicely. I would use my heating pad, which I used for weeks after birth to heat with craps. (soooo worth it!) but I would also put it on my check for engorgement, not for very long but it seems to help let down faster. My favorite nursery bra what a sports nursing bra...best support!!!
1. As most people before...we just have a pack n' play. It had a bassinet that we used when Evie was little. She was in our room for about 2 months. She is still in the pack n' play and will probably stay there until she grows out of it. It's really handy because we can take it with us. (also...we have a really small apartment and couldn't fit too many baby things. It works out well).
2. I am definitely not a cloth diaper person. I am a-ok with disposable ones. I also use Amazon Mom and love it. It's pretty affordable. Pampers are my favorite. There are lots of moms around here that love cloth diapers and there are others who kids just smell like pee all the time. I figure I'm saving water by using disposable!
3. For breastfeeding references, I just called the nurses at the hospital anytime I had a question. They were always willing to help me out. They also had a lactation consultant that could help if the problem was more serious. For little questions I used google! I used a pump and that was a life saver, but as Evie got older and ate more, I still ended up having to supplement with formula...at about 6 or 7 month. I felt guilty at first, but man....it was so nice not to have to worry about her getting enough food. I don't feel bad one bit now....so, don't feel bad or guilty if you do have to supplement...I just had a low milk supply, not matter what I tried.
1. Pack 'n Play. Then after a year/year and a half we switch to a toddler bed.
ReplyDelete2. Both. Cloth at home, disposies for going out.
3. LOVE kellymom.com. I have the LLL book and attended their mtgs with Jed.
Best new parents resource imho is the Dr. Sears Baby Book. It has EVERYTHING and somehow manages to be calming, reassuring and down to earth. Worth EVERY PENNY! It totally saved us, and helped us avoid many sleepless worried nights, with Jed and we passed it on to M's sister when she had her first.
Typing one handed while NAK - nursing at keyboard - you're gonna need that acronym! :D
1) bassinet until 6 months in our room. I love this time and I get nervous I won't hear them. We have often picked up a newborn baby that was making a strange sound in the middle of the night and I felt really good knowing we could help them.
ReplyDelete2) cloth diapers have come a long way. I'd say go for it. But I never did ;)
3) tips: relax! and do not be afraid to supplement some with formula. all my babies have nursed AND taken 1 bottle a day of formula- don't get all obsessed with thinking the only thing they can have is breast milk. Also: if your milk is not coming in well, pump for 20 minutes after each feeding for the first month or so-I know it's awful, but it really helps-rent a hospital grade pump if you need to do this. good luck!
1) I prefer having a bassinet or cradle or something small so it doesn't take up much room but is close to hand for feedings. Then on to a crib when the baby is bigger.
ReplyDelete2) I prefer cloth for everyday use- at home, out and about, etc. Just remember to change every 2 hrs or more often as needed. Cloth doesn't contain for long periods as well as disposables, so double up or don't forget to stop and change. I like having some disposables on hand for travelling or in case of power outage which I've had happen when I was about to wash.
3) Breastfeeding is natural and pretty easy, but questions and things do pop up now and again. A lactation consulatant should be stopping by your room in the hospital to see how you're getting on and if you need any help or have questions. I've always liked the little pamphlets they give out at the doctor's offices too. Even going on baby #4 it's nice to have refreshers now and again.
Also..... I forgot to add this before... I suggest trying different types and brands of cloth diapers, not all one type. Buying used is much better on the wallet. Look up local cloth diaper retailers in your area so you can browse hands-on and ask questions.
ReplyDelete-k-
ReplyDelete1) I always have my new borns in my room in a bassinet or pack n play with one built in for at least 6-8 months...dont wait too long or trasition to crib might be hard. i feel like wil sids and all that I cant sleep well without them near so i can hear them breath... :)
2) I have never used cloth diapers...I keep them in my food storage just in case though. but i have no complaints about disposable diapers...i even use cheap walmart brand..
3) Nursing.....FOR SURE SURE SURE....I nurse my twins till they were 14 months....and my son till he was 15 months...With the twins they were so small that the nurses told me to pump because they burned fewer calories bottle feeding but I even bought a really nice $300 pump....and I started loosing my milk....I cried to my mid wife 6 weeks later cuz i didnt want to give my babies formula...and she told me to stop pumping because your body knows the difference...sure enough. I stopped and went stricktly to nursing never pumped or used a bottle again and Never had a problem with my milk again....same stih my son...just cut out the pump...your body is smart and knows the difference. nursing is the neatest thing though...definately worth it...and very convient....all you need is a knocker blocker and your set..no packing bottles or sneaking out to go pump...your set. hop thats helpful!
Sallie
1. Get a pack and play with the bassinet. You need a pack and play anyway, so just use that as your bassinet. We had Finn in our room for 5 weeks in the bassinet (until the week before I went back to work).
ReplyDelete2. If you are going to be working, I say go disposable diapers. I was just thinking about that today; I went back to work for three months to work on an event and I'm having a hard time keeping my house clean and keep up with everything I was doing when I was just at home. I was thinking today after doing six loads of laundry that there is no way I could keep up with washing cloth diapers while I'm working if I used them. Figure out what is going to be best for your life style and if you have time to was cloth diaper. I get my diapers from Amazon Moms, they are WAY cheaper than anywhere, even Costco, and they are delivered right to my door every month with out having to order them every month. LOVE IT!!
3. I had a love hate relationship with nursing, but I'm SO happy I did it. I asked the lactation specialist in the hospital a lot of questions, and I also read a lot (and still do) on babycenter.com. I seriously love that website! I also asked my sister and sister-in-laws and friends with babies a lot of questions.
Good luck! You are going to be awesome!!
Oh another tip on nursing, don't be afraid to supplement with formula. We actually discovered that giving formula to Finn at night before he went to bed made him sleep longer because it takes longer for his system to process. I would just pump at night instead of nurse so I would have more for the next day for the baby sitter while I was at work.
ReplyDeleteI skipped the bassinet and went a pack n play with a new born insert. That way the pack n play can be used for how ever long. if we are on vacation Parker still sleeps in one and he is 2 where a bassinet they out grow after about 6 months. Definitely disposable diapers. I couldnt wash poop and pee out but that is just me. Breast feeding tool...if you have the money a double pump is the way to go!! Saves you tons of time and time is everything with a new born...more time you have, the most rest you get and the more "me" time you get! Which you need!! I needed nursing pads, as far as creams the best on are there gel packs I got at the hospital but couldnt find them anywhere after I left. I was totally bummed! But I just used the store bought stuff and it worked nicely. I would use my heating pad, which I used for weeks after birth to heat with craps. (soooo worth it!) but I would also put it on my check for engorgement, not for very long but it seems to help let down faster. My favorite nursery bra what a sports nursing bra...best support!!!
ReplyDeletehelp with cramps* typo!!!
ReplyDeletealso...the nursing covers are awesome and totally fashionable right now!! I got mine at bebe au lait! LOVE IT!
Here's my two cents!!!
ReplyDelete1. As most people before...we just have a pack n' play. It had a bassinet that we used when Evie was little. She was in our room for about 2 months. She is still in the pack n' play and will probably stay there until she grows out of it. It's really handy because we can take it with us. (also...we have a really small apartment and couldn't fit too many baby things. It works out well).
2. I am definitely not a cloth diaper person. I am a-ok with disposable ones. I also use Amazon Mom and love it. It's pretty affordable. Pampers are my favorite. There are lots of moms around here that love cloth diapers and there are others who kids just smell like pee all the time. I figure I'm saving water by using disposable!
3. For breastfeeding references, I just called the nurses at the hospital anytime I had a question. They were always willing to help me out. They also had a lactation consultant that could help if the problem was more serious. For little questions I used google! I used a pump and that was a life saver, but as Evie got older and ate more, I still ended up having to supplement with formula...at about 6 or 7 month. I felt guilty at first, but man....it was so nice not to have to worry about her getting enough food. I don't feel bad one bit now....so, don't feel bad or guilty if you do have to supplement...I just had a low milk supply, not matter what I tried.