All right folks. I need some help. Several months ago my doctor put me on a really strict diet to help with some health problems. It's REALLY strict. I can't seem to abide by it without yo-yoing. I feel totally deprived and am getting sick of salad. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas/recipes that follow my diet. I seem to find all sorts of recipes of things I want to eat that do NOT follow my diet and very little that does. Here are the particulars:
I can eat:
fruit
veggies
nuts/seeds
lean meat
dark chocolate sparingly (I loosely translate sparingly but I shouldn't)
up to 1 tsp. of molasses, honey, or pure maple syrup a day
I am supposed to drink one cup of whole milk a day
healthy fats such as olive oil
I can't eat:
grains
dairy (besides the 1 c. milk)
beans (unless they are sprouted)
sugar (this is all kinds- including foods that metabolize into sugar quickly like breads and starchy pastas)
Yes, suspiciously diabetic sounding. No, not diabetic. My issues would take a whole other post to explain. And that's not the point- I want FOOD! Not surprisingly, the time when I struggle the most with this diet is when I want a treat of some sort. Or comfort food. Or when I have the munchies. Or when I'm sick of having eggs for breakfast.
I thought I heard my doctor say as he finished telling me what to eat and not eat "And no more happiness!" Yeah, I'm pretty sure he said that.....
Monday, June 29, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Nice Brian Regan quote!
ReplyDeleteSo can you marinate your meats? Or maybe you're already sick of lemon pepper chicken and fish.
I'm sorry no grains; grains are what fill me up.
Well, my favorite summer treat is to cut up cucumbers and tomatoes and eat them with salt. It's kind of like a salad. Oooo and sometimes if I'm feeling rich I'll buy an avocado and eat that with it too.
Good luck on your new diet, I hope it helps. :)
I might have quite a few recipes for you... especially if you are willing to sprout beans. Are you allowed to sprout wheat? Is this a celiac thing? I can't remember specifically what they eat, but it's close. Gluten-Free Girl is a pretty popular recipe site. Also, any sort of raw site will probably be useful for you. Like living-foods.com. Aside from the current month, in which our diet has been abominable, I've been trying to do mostly whole foods for our family and find many such recipes you have to find on vegan or vegetarian sites like vegweb.
ReplyDeleteHere's one I found last week that I've wanted to try:
Cheezy Broccoli Soup
Sauce
3 cups carrots
3 cups potatoes
2 tsp. RealSalt
4 cups water
1 medium onion
1 cup cashews
6 to 8 cups broccoli
Peel and slice 1 cup of the carrots. Put carrots into pan with a little water
and start cooking (covered) while you peel 1 cup of the potatoes and cut into
cubes. Add potatoes to carrots in pan.
Peel onion and 2 cups each of carrots and potatoes, and chop all into small
pieces in food processor. Add to water and salt in soup pot and cook over
medium heat. Meanwhile cut broccoli into bite size pieces and add broccoli to
sliced carrots and cubed potatoes and cook to desired firmness. When veggies in
soup pot are tender, pour into blender with cashews. (Don't over fill
blender--You'll have to blend cooked ingredients in about 2 or 3 batches.)
Blend to make "cheesy" sauce, and return to soup pot. Drain other veggies and
stir into cheesy sauce. Enjoy as a delicious soup or you can pour over baked
potatoes.
Nutty Broccoli and Tofu (or chicken)
ReplyDeleteSauce:
Whisk together:
1/2 c. hot water
1/2 c. nut butter
1/4 c. cider vinegar
2 T soy sauce
2 T molasses
Cayenne to taste
Stir fry and add to sauce:
1 t. fresh ginger, grated
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 lb tofu or whatever
In order, stir fry the following until broccoli is a vibrant green:
2 t ginger, grated
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 onion, thinly sliced
3/4 c. chopped cashews or other nut
2-3 T soy sauce
1 lb. broccoli
Add to sauce, mix. Can serve over rice if you are being naughty. :c) We eat it plain just as often. I love this stuff, we had it for dinner on Sunday.
Oooo, you could probably eat lots of falafel. That's one of my favorite foods and so easy when you have a food processor. You can google for about a million recipes, just forget the pita and make up your own sauce. Remember when the Lelleks used to bring that to homeschool group occasionally. Mmmmm.
ReplyDeleteThis week we're having herbed potato salad, that would be ok, right? I just use some olive oil and lemon for a sauce with salt and pepper and lots of fresh herbs.
ReplyDeleteWe like a recipe a lot like this one:
http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipes/10667
And I make a ginger dipping sauce for it. Yummmy. M loves them on a hot day I skip the collard greens (Yuck, I live in the south but that doesn't mean I've converted to collard greens!)
OK, I gotta run now. If you want more, call me some time and I'll see what I can find for you!
Love! Good luck!
V
You should try rice noodles. You can buy them at any asian market. Can you eat rice or seaweed? Seasoned seaweed is very good and you can eat it by itself.
ReplyDeleteHere is one recipe. I hope you can eat rice. Make sure you have a rice cooker.
Stir Fry
1 small package of lean ground beef. (any type of meat would work)
Cook with some onions.
Buy fresh vegetables: brocoli, carrots, zuchinni, bell peppers (any color), and celery (optional).
Add this to the meat.
Add in as much sweet chilli sauce as you want. It is sweet and spicy and very good. Put this over the rice. If you can't eat rice, just eat the stir fry part.
Can you eat curry? Asian markets have good curry packets, and it not the yellow powdery curry. I am not sure of the ingredients in the packets.
Mae Mae. Call Virginia. She has had to be on the diabetic diet and knows all sorts of things you can do. I'm supposed to be eating a certain way but danged if I don't cheat here and there......can't seem to help it. I LIKE MY SUGAR DANG IT!
ReplyDeleteOk, so I don't have a recipe but I have a tip for when you just gotta have a little something. You know what I'm talking about. When you see that recipe that just looks soooo gooooooood. Well I make it! I allow myself little snitches along the way (and I do mean little snitches cause otherwise you ruin the end product)and then I give it away to some poor sister in the ward that is ill or just had a baby, or anyone who I can think of . . That way I felt I got a little and the rest is out of the house. Wasn't that nice of me?
ReplyDeleteSo... is peanut butter a yes?
ReplyDeleteIf so, I'll come back with a recipe.