Friday, February 10, 2012

New Home Remedy Discovery


So I was checking out a friend's blog and she mentioned a deep conditioning treatment she does to her hair with coconut oil. When I read it, I had to give it a try. My hair is super dry- partly because of my thyroid problems, partly because I apparently had the flat iron from you-know-where (Mom fixed that when she visited), and partly because of the water here. 

So I'm always looking for ways to not have straw-like hair. I'm sure straw is great for something- cows, Halloween decorations, landscaping- but NOT so cute as hair. Last night I tried the coconut oil and I can not BELIEVE how my hair is today. SHOCKED! It's shiny, bouncy, and super soft. 

Here's what I did:

Glob on a ton of coconut oil (extra virgin, cold pressed) on the lower half of my hair. Added some jojoba oil to the mix since I already have and use it and it's also great for your hair. Put my hair back and went to bed.  

Next morning, wash it as usual, although I needed to wash it twice to get all of the oil out. 

FAbulous!!! And what I really liked about it was that I didn't have to do extra steps like wrap my hair in plastic and use the hair dryer to get it hot and then "sleep" with plastic on my head (how can you sleep with the crinkling of plastic every time you flip over?). It soaks into your hair and doesn't get all over your bedding. I did put a towel on my pillow, but it wasn't a big deal.

I liked this way better than the vinegar rinse. I didn't quite get the body and bounce with vinegar as I have with the coconut oil. I also don't smell like a pickle if my head sweats a little at the gym- that was gross. 

So I had to share. I love coconut oil for many other things- lotion, eye makeup remover, moisturizer, etc. I have one tub in the bathroom and one tub in the kitchen. It's great stuff. 

On another home remedy note- still a huge fan of the natural toothpaste for deodorant. I even got JD to switch over. He's Italian. He works out. He sweats. He says it works just as well as his previous deodorant. Good stuff! 

3 comments:

  1. YOU! ARE! BRILLIANT!!!!! I just did this last night and my hair feels AMAZING today!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. I know, I know. I am just amazing. I'm planning on doing it about twice a week and seeing how that goes.

      Delete